Monday, August 29, 2005

Diva Dethroned

It's been just over a week now since I was "let go" from my job, and I'm not feeling like much of a Diva. Actually, I'm feeling quite depressed. I'm eating too much, sleeping too much, and I am scared; scared of the future.

This is the first time in my life that I have ever been fired from a job, and it has really taken a toll on me. My parents, who I saw this weekend, agree that my skin is "the worst it's been in at least 10 years!" I guess it's all the stress and worrying that I do.

I hate the uncertainty of when I will get another job, and I am already feeling the financial "pinch" of September rent and bills being due without an income I can rely on. What I hate most, though, is having to ask my family for help. My parents don't seem to mind; they know that I am trying. But I mind. I am 26 years-old, I shouldn't need "help" from anyone.

My father, now retired, was a successful accountant for 30 years. He has always been "the example" for me and for what I wanted -- and still want -- to achieve. Unfortunately, I don't see myself aspiring to his level of success and achievement. I am afraid that I am destined to reside in the "lower-rung" of society -- a disappointment to myself, if not others.

On a more positive note, I really appreciate the lovely comments some of you have left me. Thank you. It gives me hope.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jorge said...

Wow, I've never been in the presence of a real Diva...lol. Neat place you have yourself here. I'll make sure to visit again.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous April said...

Do you feel that your options have been limited so far while you've been looking for another job? If so, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.


In response to your question about my opinion of the whole "who needs the money the most" issue, I believe that I do not have enough information to make that type of decision that would influence so many people, hypothetically speaking. I dare not suggest a solution without multiple theories at my disposal, hence, the reason why I am a master's student at the graduate school of social work.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Darksin said...

Well, for one, I know what it is like to be fired. Damn depressing, but heck, on the off side, it is always about progression. So, slipping the advice under the carpet, you know people really love you for what you are, you know that you are worth more then they can ever pay you and you know given half a chance, you can really kick some butt.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown Soldier said...

C'mon Diva....You are made for much more than this. I have been fired too, but believe me, there are worst things in the world.
Now you have time for yourself, so enjoy it!

Greetings from Mexico!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm really sorry to read this, Diva. Great advice from everyone here (except for the spammers), so I'll add my voice to the chorus of people saying that you'll get through this, you'll land on your feet, and things will be fine shortly. You seem far too bright and talented for things to turn out any other way.

I know I don't know you, nor do I know what you do for a living, but if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. I'm an HR manager here in NYC and I have a fair number of contacts. I know what it's like to be worried about the "pinch" so if I can do anything, please don't be shy about asking.

5:40 PM  
Blogger American Princess said...

Thanks, you all! I appreciate the supportive, uplifting comments!!!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://dgmizrgp.com/lhdh/duow.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ifwkfmuu.com/ntjc/zkyv.html]Cool site[/url]

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
My homepage | Please visit

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://dgmizrgp.com/lhdh/duow.html | http://lsqavuea.com/dkbn/rpgt.html

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home