Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Dirty Girls

Few people understand Divas, which is why I was not surprised when people began making fun of Paula Abdul for lobbying for stricter sanitation and safety standards at nail salons. Her reason for doing so? Abdul once contracted an infection after receiving a manicure at such a salon -- something I can relate to.
In my case, the infection resulted in an ugly growth under my left thumb nail. I went to the Dermatologist and he said that my case isn't unique; many people contract such infections after having work done at nail salons. The reason is, employees at these establishments use the same tools and instruments on multitudes of customers, including those with nail infections. Infection-causing bacteria can be transmitted from person to person by sharing the same file, cuticle pusher, nail polish (and many other tools) in much the same way that some diseases can be transmitted from person to person by sharing the same needles/syringes. Granted, an ugly nail isn't the same as contracting a disease such as HIV, but why should anyone have to worry about contracting any type of infection from receiving a service that (s)he PAID FOR!

Now I have this ugly left thumb nail I have to deal with. My Dermatologist recommended some over-the-counter treatments for me to try, but if that doesn't work, we might just have to rip the entire nail out from the roots. If that is the case, I will be pissed. I shouldn't have to spend a penny on curing something a business is responsible for. I feel like I've been victimized twice; the first being the actual infection I contracted from the nail salon and the second being the money I will have to spend to take care of it.

So I am glad Paula is standing up for all of us that have been victimized by nail salons; she has my support. And next time I go to get my nails done, I'm bringing my OWN "tools of the trade" in hopes that this won't happen again.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://wphcslci.com/yenw/hiys.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qcxsfsbb.com/iged/tqzk.html]Cool site[/url]

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://wphcslci.com/yenw/hiys.html | http://zzgmyern.com/oqav/tbti.html

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home